Monday, June 13, 2011

Do workplaces need professional dress codes?

Lisa Epstein, from Monster.ca, asked a great question on LinkedIn – Do workplaces need dress codes?

My answer? Absolutely not!

Employees within a professional business environment are adults and do not need to be babysat. When you hire someone, it is because you were impressed with his or her qualifications, background and professionalism. If you entrust them with getting the job done, why is it that you question their judgment skills when it comes to their trousers and shirts? I think it is part of old school mentality and old school way of management.

If someone else is going to be choosing what I need to be wearing, it is only a step way from choosing exactly what I am saying to customers, how I write my emails, how I conduct my presentations and client meetings, how I respond to phone calls and how I accomplish all my other tasks and responsibilities. At the end of the day, controlling and micromanaging your staff hardly fosters any creativity or inspires your employees. Certainly would drive me nuts!

If my superstar employee could live in her jeggings, what do I care, as long as she is brilliant at what she does? I would take that any time of the day over someone who dresses in flawlessly corporate attire, yet is mediocre at what he does. And look, if someone knows s/he will be meeting with a client, yet shows up in torn up jeans and a message T-shirt, their judgment skills must be lacking in other areas as well. And THAT is something for you to look into.

I am a strong believer that when you treat your staff like kids, they will undoubtedly start acting like kids. And since kids do need to be micromanaged to a point, you will be stuck in a vicious cycle and waste a whole lot of time.

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea what "jeggings" are (old age must be knocking), but I love this post. Employers first insist on dress codes and then wonder how they ended up with a bunch of helpless employees unable to show initiative or generate an original idea to save their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeggings are a cross between jeans and leggings! Thank you for your comment. I once witnessed a colleague (at a previous job) - who happened to be one of the best dressed, trendiest and professional looking women in the office - get chastised by HR for wearing shorts that were not long enough according to the company dress code. The shorts in question were covering her knees, were tailored and were part of a gorgeous summer suit. Ironically, two weeks later the same HR person came to the office in flip flops that made overpowering flopping sounds.

    ReplyDelete